The new building extends the east wing of the 1959 Denys Lasdun College Masterplan. The main library reading rooms are on three floors with books located in the centre to allow reader spaces on the perimeter to benefit from daylight and views over the College gardens.
A variety of study spaces have been created with flexible IT network connections via an accessible raised floor. The oak concertina elevation of the library provides a visual counterpoint to the continuous ribbon of Lasdun’s brick-faced student rooms.
The west facing timber elevation provides discrete workstations with natural side-light; over-sailing eaves provide protection from direct sunlight through the west facing clerestory window.
The spiralling stairtower, with desks at landing levels, takes readers between library floors and culminates in the ‘nest’ level where readers enjoy even wider views across the Campus.