St John's College Library
The existing collection of books and manuscripts had long outgrown its 17th century library. The library we designed is located in the shell of the 1888 Penrose Building, adjacent to the existing library.
The original brief called for the southern part of the building to be replaced with a totally climatically controlled box, with sealed walls and air-conditioning. We advised that the Penrose building should be saved and adapted.
In order to provide a modern learning space, the interior was cleared and a new cross axis with entrance porch and apse was created. This provided space for well-lit corner reading bays that have delightful views over Chapel Court and the Master’s Garden, as well as back towards the original building.
The library is characterised by its integration of a wide variety of comfortable reading spaces with the book collection.